The Edge of Night
|Imperial Provinces||Sovereign Nations||Geographic Features|
“Dark Ontes, burnished under the angry sun, has swallowed the secrets of dead gods and fallen kings. The continent is said by some to be cursed, save for the thin line of light and life flourishing on its coast. Beyond the ports of Marachai, flowing with wine and coin, and the bright Alozean walls shining with golden banners, there is something dark hiding under the sands…”
- Erion Izandre, pirate captain
From across the Pelagos Sea, the Empire has only begun to explore and interact with the continent of Ontes in the last century. Though its vast deserts harbor extensive ruins dating back to the Old World, making it wildly attractive to scholars and those seeking adventure, only the northern coasts of Ontes are heavily populated, with a few minor settlements in the far east. The bulk of the continent is covered by small tribes with little in the way of political presence or power.
In addition to secrets and artifacts, Ontes exports a large amount of exotic beasts and foods, strange plants and expensive consumables such as pitch and oil. Though its population is relatively isolated, the value of trade along the Great Road along the Pelagos Sea keeps its nobility and merchants quite comfortable.
- Valis – The sole bastion of the Empire on Ontes, Valis is little more than a single bustling and well-fortified port city with nominal Imperial governance, and a few surrounding villages and watchtowers.
- Marachai – A loose confederation of mercantile city-states on the northwest corner of the continent and surrounding islands.
- Alozea – Built on ancient ruins yet thriving on modern trade, Alozea is a syncretic empire that began with lost Elein refugees and Marach explorers. It is dominated by a queen said to be descended from the lost Fourth Oracle of Elei.
- Ankhat – A faded remnant of the former glory of the Deldari people, Ankhat is a kingdom teetering between utter chaos and brutal tyranny.
- Lost Tribes – Secretive and xenophobic, the so-called “Lost Tribes” are descended from the survivors of ancient kingdoms that once thrived on the continent. Little is known about them, save that they live in small groups in the deep desert and avoid contact with civilized folk.
- Isle of Amin – A large, beautiful island off the northwestern coast of Ontes, home to Amintai, one of the dominant city-states of Marachai.
- Isle of Petri – The island home of skilled Marach fishermen known for valuable trade in pearls. Home to a popular cult of Thyella.
- Jomon Bay – A small bay on the mainland dominated by a dense cluster of ports owned by rival merchant-princes of Marachai.
- Sea of Alargi – A large inland sea to the southwest of Marachai. Its few small settlements are popular destinations for pirates, criminals, and others who seek refuge from the civilized world.
- The Nore Coast – The Nore coast stretches along most of the northern edge of the continent between Marachai and Alozea. It is nominally ruled by the queen of Alozea, but is sparsely populated.
- Arion Desert – The smaller of Ontes’ two main deserts, the Arion is confined to the northwest corner of the continent by the Sea of Alargi and the Strand of Enaia.
- Samous Delta – The flourishing wetlands at the northeastern corner of the continent are the heartland of Alozea and have been a center of culture on Ontes throughout history.
- Strand of Enaia – Stretching from the Samous Delta deep into Ontes’ deserts, the Strand of Enaia is a band of arable land following the River Satra.
- Aqaris Desert – This large desert dominated most of the Ontesian continent’s landmass. It is sparsely inhabited except by scattered families of the Lost Tribes.
- Kura Headland – In the northeastern corner of Ontes, the ports of the Kura headland form the easternmost extent of the Great Road, trading heavily with the peoples of Usca. It also hosts the last viable kingdom of the Deldari people.